Weighback Machine

Monday, May 15, 2006

First Weekend

The first weekend went pretty well, especially as a learning experience.

Friday dinner was an old favorite with a new twist and I ate a good deal less than I normally would have – after a pretty minimal calorie intake during the day.

For many years it’s seemed that my need for sleep was in inverse proportion to my caloric intake, so I figured I might sleep a lot over the weekend. Not so! I woke up after reasonable amounts of sleep (7.5 – 8 hours) feeling fine.

Saturday my wife fixed a big breakfast – I ate about 2/3 what I normally would have and was quite full. Later in the morning I tried cool sugar water (dissolve sugar in hot tap water in a coffee cup, stir two ice cubes in very rapidly then pour into a drinking glass of cool water so as to avoid risking cracking a glass) – it was a reasonably refreshing thing to have during breaks from yard work. Lunch and dinner were each between ½ and 2/3 my usual size for each and I had only one little snack. I only did the flavor fast during the morning as I was nursing a big diet coke during the afternoon. Saturday it seemed that some familiar foods seemed to have stronger and richer flavors.

Sunday I had the usual cup of coffee on rising and, just 45 minutes later, a shot of ELOO. That carried me through to brunch out with friends about four hours later. The 2/3 pattern reasserted itself. I didn’t take any sugar or oil Sunday afternoon. By late Sunday afternoon I found I was getting a good deal hungrier – after two days of half measures on SLD. I snacked a bit and again had about 2/3 of a usual dinner. Monday morning I was hungry before breakfast, which is unusual for me. I had a bowl of berries instead of the usual. I took a shot of ELOO at my first opportunity Monday morning.

Takeaways:

 Doing only one daily flavor fast (including ingestion of sugar or ELOO) produced reduced results after two days. However doing only one flavor fast for one day didn’t seem to hamper the effectiveness either on that day or the subsequent day.

 Most meals are leveling out around 2/3 the size they were before and snacking is down more than that. Overall caloric intake is down by about 50%.

 It works to wait only 45 minutes from finishing morning coffee before having ELOO if I haven’t had anything to eat with the coffee.

 Fatigue does not appear to be an issue.

 I haven’t felt deprived so I haven’t been grouchy. This is significant. Back in college, roommates asked me to quit smoking. Two days in they asked me to start again as I was unbearable absent the nicotine.

I’ve decided that I’ll weigh myself once a week, on Thursday afternoon when I get home from work (since that’s the time I took my starting weight on 5/11).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home